Thursday, March 10, 2011

On Pokemon, some observations after 3 days traversing Unova

So like every other nerd on the planet I have been playing the latest pokemon game, White specifically. I just can't get enough of those racist undertones. But I digress, I've yet to beat the game so unless something drastic happens I doubt my opinions will change.

First off let's talk design. Going into this I had very low expectations about the pokemon I would be encountering. I had seen quite a few of them on various sites and I wasn't impressed. But, as I traversed the region of Unova(merica) I began to discover quite a few pokemon that I thought were, amazing. So yeah, its about an even split between the good looking ones and the crimes against nature. Type-wise, which past this I don't care about details, there are a few interesting combinations. Bug-electric, dark-dragon, ghost-fire, and so on. Then there's Deerling: Normal-Grass.

Normal-Grass.

Just why? I mean normal I can understand, and grass because it changes with the in game seasons, whatever. Maybe its just me and my categorical psychosis, or something but I think that's just wrong.

On the subject of legendaries, people complain constantly about the influx of legendaries in this version. Well think about it from a story perspective. Its a new continent with its own mythos and what not. Of course there's going to be a bunch of legendaries to fill to gaps. I mean at least you don't have pokemon that lord over space and time or Poke-god. They're just pokemon that are really powerful that achieved a sort of mythological standing to them, and not gods to be commanded by teenagers.

Moving on, the music is great. I love the music in this game. Past games the music never really stuck out to me. This one is different particularly the legend battle and rival battles, the music is just really enjoyable for a pokemon game.

The, Environments are pretty cool. The 3-D effects can get a bit annoying to navigate but nothing really game breaking, plus it give the game an added sort of depth/excitement. The designs of the towns are unique and charming, and there is a nice change in atmosphere going from place to place. My biggest complaint is that some of the routes and areas are a bit small and like all pokemon games the encounter rates can get maddening. Aside from that the locales are all neat and I don't find myself glazing over parts just to get to the plot.

The Plot, having not played every generation I can't really judge if its improved but, your rivals are much more fleshed out than just a douche-bag that has a lust for power, like blue/silver, and they actually have some compelling development other than just learning that its wrong to view pokemon as tools. The Team, Team Plasma, actually has a reasonable goal: Liberating pokemon so that pokemon and humans are equal. Granted they go about it in the most radical criminal way possible. Their Leader N is actually a pretty like-able guy not just some raving lunatic, its a shame every other member of the Team is an unspeakable frothing dip shits. Granted I haven't finished the game so I could be dead wrong about all of this.

Online. I don't normally use online features mainly because I A: usually have bad connections B: Always saw them as kinda dumb and C: Am forever alone. Just kidding about that last one. This game just by the sheer volume of online connectivity, with friend codes, the survey side quests, being able to see other people activities in real time, and so much more even to a guy like me I have to say it's amazing.

All in all this game, is everything you're looking for in a pokemon game. The same gameplay you love but all wrapped up in a shiny new exterior. Its got it's faults sure and it may be using much of the basic pokemon structure but they're so outweighed by the new and exciting things that it doesn't matter. If you were on the fence about buying this game: Buy it. If you want to buy this game but haven't: Buy it faster, its 35 bucks that's not a lot and you can go with out a few meals. If you are dead set against it and everything it stands for: give it a shot. Borrow it for a few days from a friend. It may just change your mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment