Monday, February 7, 2011

Auggie's Awesome(?) Moments In Anime - G Gundam

So for a random weekly column...article...type...thing...I decided to showcase some of the most awesome (though your mileage may vary) moments in anime. Granted most of these will consists of OVA's from the early 90's before anime was prevalent and over saturated in the states. Back when it was a nerd only market. Most of these were cheaply made OVA's that bombed in Japan, but were inexpensive to bring over here. With hilarious dubs that consists of poor castings as well as unnecessary profanity, you're given pure riffing gold...

Careful, vampire bites will leave glitter on the end of said dick. Gundammit Edward


Anyway, enough of the intro, let's move on to this week's moment shall we? Back in 2002 anime hit the plateau in tv broadcasting. Toonami was on a roll, bringing classics like Rouroni Kenshin, Gundam Wing, Yu Yu Hakusho, and much much more. Then they decided to air one of the most over the top shows yet. A standalone universe in the Gundam series, G Gundam.

File:Mobile Fighter G Gundam DVD volume 1.jpg
Military drama? Who needs it when I have MANLY SPIRIT!!!



Take it away ANN summary!

In the Year FC 60, much of mankind inhabits space colonies which orbit the Earth. Dominance over the colonies is decided once every four years by a large tournament in which each nation sends a single representative to fight the others with a giant robot called a Gundam. Domon Kashuu is selected to represent Neo-Japan in one of these tournaments, but he fights less to ensure his nation's victory than to find his brother, who has been blamed for the deaths of Domon's parents and the disappearance of a very dangerous weapon, the Dark Gundam or Devil Gundam.

Yes, each colony sends their own Gundam and fighter. I'm sure they'll be dignified symbols of each colony's culture and pri-
Ladies and gentlemen, the Canadian "Grizzly Gundam" ...Yes I'm serious.

Oh...well maybe that's the most stereotypical one I'm sure it doesn't get any wor-
gf13-049nm.jpg
Mexico's "Tequila Gundam" ...Dear lord...

...Why does it have mustache? Yeah, I think this was more of a shonen fight anime parody with giant robots. I mean, did anyone actually design this without thinking about the fall out?

"Hmm...Mexican Gundam...it needs cactus arms, a sombrero, and we'll call it the Tequila Gundam!"

"Um sir...don't you think that's a bit...racist?"

"Nah, now help me come up with a design for Denmark's...I got it! A giant fish suit!"

"...I quit."
If you haven't checked it out yet...do it. And watch it dubbed, and die laughing. Anyway, I think I've rambled on enough. This clip is the most memorable part of the show for me. It's from the final episode so SPOILERS!


Yep...that just happened.

2 comments:

  1. This gives me some sort of love for Gundam...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to love this show when I was a kid. Actually, I still do. I know it can be corny, but now I'm definitely buying the series.

    ReplyDelete